Brian was born and raised in Reading, PA, and has had a general interest in science since childhood. His passion for weather was sparked at age 7 by the big Nor’easter snowstorm of February 1983, and then further piqued by Hurricane Gloria in September 1985.
He held an internship at NASA Goddard in Greenbelt, MD in the summer of 1997, earned his B.A. in physics and astronomy from Lycoming College in Williamsport, PA in 1998, then went on to graduate school where he completed his M.S. in atmospheric science at Colorado State University (CSU) in Fort Collins, CO in 2001. He spent the next ten years working at CSU’s Department of Atmospheric Science conducting research on a variety of topics, specializing in tropical cyclones.
Brian has maintained a blog on tropical Atlantic activity since 1996, then was selected as one of four hurricane experts for a New York Times blog from 2007-2010, and has been the tropical weather expert for the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog since 2012.
In January 2012, Brian took a position as a Senior Research Associate at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) to continue his career in tropical cyclone research.
- Weather and climatology
- Tropical Atlantic Update blog
- Miami local radar loop
- NWS Miami Forecast Office
- Miami heat index and dewpoint climatology
- UM RSMAS Weather Station (WeatherStem)
- UM RSMAS Weather Station (NOAA/CO-OPS)
- AOML Weather Station
- NOAA/HDSC Precip Frequency Data
- ISU Hourly Threshold plots
- ISU METAR data download
- Miami Beach Wave/Surf Info
- Southeast Florida Water Temp
- Southeast Regional Climate Center
- Florida Climate Center
- Climates of the World
- Sea level rise
- 2015-02-17: WIRED Magazine (quoted)
- 2015-02-23: Miami New Times (quoted)
- 2015-02-26: Miami CBS 4 (quoted)
- 2015-03-02: consultant to Florida State Senator Eleanor Sobel
- 2015-10-20: Washington Post blog
- 2015-10-28: Tropical Atlantic blog
- 2015-10-29: Miami New Times (quoted)
- 2016-01-25: consultant to Miami-Dade County Commissioner Xavier Suarez
- 2016-01-26: guest lecturer for Sea Level Rise & Society course at Florida International University
- 2016-02-17: speaker at Miami Design Preservation League seminar series
- 2016-05-23: interviewed by WBOC-16 for news story on sea level rise
- 2016-08: joined Science Advisory Board of Coastal Risk Consulting
- 2018-02-27: speaker at NISAR Science Team Meeting
- 2018-06-25: consultant to Miami Beach Commissioner Mark Samuelian
- 2018-07-09: speaker at CallisonRTKL's "SparkWeek: Designing for Resilience"
- 2019-01-29: panelist at Miami Beach United's public forum on sea level rise
- 2019-08-19: consultant to Miami-Dade County Commissioner Xavier Suarez
- 2019-10-04: interviewed by WLRN's South Florida Roundup for story on King Tides
- 2020-01-23: speaker at Miami Climate Symposium
- 2020-06-05: speaker at Goldin Solar's "Fridays With Daren" series